Chargrilled eggplant and rosemary zucchini pasta
2 large purple eggplants
2 medium zucchini
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
Sprig of rosemary
3 sprigs of basil
- slice the eggplants in rounds approximately 1cm thick. Lay them out flat and sprinkle with salt. Let these sit for about an hour. You’ll know they are ready to grill because there will be beads of liquid that have come to the top. Blot these off with a paper towel. The idea behind pre-salting the eggplant like this is that it takes out the bitter taste and leaves only sweet goodness. This also adequately seasons the eggplant and sets the flavour for the dish.
- Once the eggplant is ready to cook get a large flat pan and put on high heat. Use the rosemary sprig to coat both sides of the eggplant with olive oil. Brush the eggplant with liberal olive oil and chargrill in the pan until they look nearly burnt and are soft in texture.
- Using a mandolin to slice the zucchini and carrot into ‘pasta’ strings or you can also use a spiraliser to make spirals.
- Now that the eggplant is finished. Remove from pan and put the olive oil, rosemary sprig and garlic into the pan. Allow to cook for a minute or so before adding the basil leaves and zucchini and carrot.
- Toss in the pan until its only just heated through and serve