Oat and Flaxseed Crackers
2 1/2 cups of rolled oats
3/4 cups of flaxseeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda/ baking soda
1 tbs olive oil
3/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160 degree’s celsius (fan forced)
- Process the oats, flaxseeds, bi-carb soda and salt in processor or thermomix or high powered processor/blender. Make it into a powder/flour
- add olive oil and water and combine in your processor
- if you have a thermomix, set the mixer to ‘knead’ for aprox 1 minute then put into a bowl and press into a ball and let it sit for 15 minutes. If you don’t have one, tip the mixture into a large bowl and knead the mixture together and squash into a ball and let sit for 15 mins. This will allow the flaxseeds to expand and the oats will absorb the water making the mixture less sticky
- Prepare 2 sheets of baking paper with a light brush of olive oil and split the mixture into 2. Roll each ball out on the baking paper to aprox 3-5 mm thickness. If the mixture is sticky you can let it sit a little longer to absorb more water and try rolling again. You can use a sharp knife to cut the rolled slices into squares before baking if you want cleanly cut crackers.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-40 mins or until its crispy. Don’t let it brown because it creates a bitter flavour.
- Remove from the oven when crispy and break into any sized pieces you are going to use if you haven’t already cut them into squares.