This dish is not raw- but it is many other things! It is yummy, vegan, healthy and whole. The flavours hail from my childhood and whenever there is a capsicum glut (or any other vegetable with a cavity that can be stuffed) I make it. The winning ingredients in this dish are the olives, oregano and lemon which give it its distinct and surprising flavour. Go ahead, try it. Its Gluten free, dairy free, vegan and nut free.
Note: the featured image of this recipe is the pre-cooked version! (we ate it before I remembered to take a picture of the cooked version)
Stuffed Capsicum ingredients
5 small-medium red capsicums
1 cup raw brown rice (cook before adding to the dish)
400 gm tin of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 (diced) spanish onions
3 sprigs of fresh oregano (leaves only)
2 zucchini (diced)
1 large flat mushroom (diced)
1 cup black kalamata olives
Juice of 1 large lemon (or more or less to taste- I like more!)
4 spinach leaves (chopped finely)
salt and pepper to taste
- Put the brown rice on to cook (cooking it in about 2 cups of water should do the trick- I find I can cook it most of the way then it finishes off in the oven)
- In some olive oil lightly fry the onion and oregano until onion is translucent
- add zucchini and mushroom and fry on high heat until a little brown
- add the olives, spinach and lemon juice. Fry for a few minutes to infuse the veggies with the lemon juice
- add the tin of tomatoes and cooked rice. Salt to taste. Taste your mixture at this stage and adjust flavours as needed.
- At this stage you can preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius with the fan on
- Remove the tops off the capsicums and add the rice mixture inside the capsicum. I like to let it cascade over into the pan because during baking the rice at the top gets yummy crispy bits.
- Bake in the oven for aprox 15-20 mins. You can do more or less depending on how cooked you like the capsicum. We like the capsicum only just kissed with heat so we err on the under.
Remove from oven and serve with a pile of greens. We don’t dress our greens as we find the juicy flavours at seep out of the capsicum as you are eating are the perfect accompaniment